Sketching/Pencil: Still Life, Carrot
What is a Still Life?
A still life is an artistic reproduction of objects sitting still in life with a light source to allow a shadow to be cast and a highlight to shine.
Improve your sketching skills by incorporating easy shading techniques that bring your drawing to life by making it appear three-dimensional.
In this instructional video, Katie demonstrates a still life pencil drawing of a carrot and shows you how to construct the basic geometric shapes, place and refine the horizon line, and add depth using a wide range of shading methods.
- Breaking down to shapes to simplify and organize with proportions and placement
- Interpret color into gray tones
- Add depth using shadows, highlights and blending techniques
- Utilize different lead hardnesses and tools to create contrasting tones
- Blending techniques using blending tools
- Kneaded eraser lifting techniques to create highlights